Purpose of the Position
Under the guidance of the Chief of Section, the incumbent is responsible for coordinating and facilitating the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation Basic Education programme component results, with particular focus on strengthening capacities at national and subnational levels to deliver basic education services in the context of ongoing Decentralization and Deconcentration reforms and a sectorwide approach in the education sector.
Key Expected Results
Under the supervision of the Chief of Education, the Education Specialist will be responsible for the following key areas:
1. In collaboration with Government, manage and monitor the Education Capacity Development Partnership Fund (CDPF) including budget management (CDPF is a large multi-donor fund to develop the capacity of the Ministry of Education on planning and management); provide technical support to the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport on institutional development and education planning and management.
2. Manage relations with CDPF donors and ensure contractual accountabilities are met including progress and final reports; work with Government and donors to design next phase of CDPF taking stock of learning; coordinate closely with other development partners to ensure harmonisation.
3. Coordinate international and national CDPF Technical Advisers based in MoEYS ensuring coherence and sustainable capacity development and management of consultancy firms.
4. Oversee the institutional twinning contact between the International Institute for Educational Planning and MoEYS as well as NGO contracts related to the CDPF; oversee the procurement of supplies in accordance with UNICEF procedures; manage the visibility of CDPF within Cambodia and internationally sharing information about good practice and results through various platforms.
5. Manage and consolidate the national study on the Out of School Children Initiative and coordinate Cambodia’s contribution to the regional primary learning metrics initiative
6. Contribute to donor reports and monitor and report on Output indicators and Monitoring Results for Equity System indicators
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
– Master’s Degree in Education, International Development, Economics, Social Sciences, or related field.*
– Five years of relevant work experience related to education in low or middle-income countries.
– Experience working in the UN or other international development organisation.
– Experience of education planning, management and policy issues in Ministries of Education as well as capacity and institutional development an asset.
– Experience of managing EU grants an asset.
*A first university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced university degree
Competencies of Successful Candidate
– Strong analytical skills as well as quantitative and qualitative data analysis and development of policy recommendations
– Strong drive for results setting high standards for quality work
– Strong interpersonal and team working skills and capacity to work effectively in a multicultural environment and build partnerships with line Ministries and development partners
– Strong project and budget management skills including monitoring and evaluation
– Strong writing and analytical reporting skills
– Knowledge of the planning, financing, sector review and policy development processes of national Ministries of Education
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.