Cambodia visas

Updated: 28, August 2017
All foreign nationals have to obtain an official work permit or employment card to be eligible to apply for a long-term extension to their ordinary “business” visa or EB visa.

What’s new about getting a visa to Cambodia?

The new, 3-year multiple-entry visa to Cambodia was announced by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 2016. The introduction of a three-year multiple-entry visa is to encourage foreigners, tourists, and business people. Starting September 1, 2016, this new visa application is available to foreigners from all nations.

A passport and visa are required. Tourists and travelers may purchase a Cambodian visa valid for one month at the airports in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and borders. Both require a passport valid for at least six months from the expiry date, 01 recent passport-sized photo.

When planning a trip to Cambodia, people usually ask:

    • As an Asean national, do I need a visa to visit Cambodia?

Asean: the nationals of the Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia do not need a tourist visa and may stay in Cambodia for 21 and 30 days respectively.

    • As a tourist, can I get a visa on arrival in Cambodia?

Most visitors to Cambodia require a one-month tourist visa (US$30). Most nationalities receive this on arrival at Phnom Penh and Siem Reap airports, and at land borders, but citizens of Afghanistan, Algeria, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka and Sudan need to make advance arrangements.

    • How long can you stay in Cambodia without a visa?

The tourist visa is an ideal option if you know you will be staying 30 days or less. The 30-day tourist visa is available to travelers in advance or on arrival (for most nationalities) for a cost of $30. The tourist visa is single entry only, and can be renewed once for an additional 30 days for a fee of $45.

The easiest way to obtain the visa:

  • Cambodia E-Visa website managed by Cambodia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation. It’s fast and convenient. So, instead of applying through a Cambodian Embassy in your country, what you need to do is: complete the online application form and pay with your credit or visa card. After receiving your Visa via email, print it out and bring it along when you travel to Cambodia.
  • Independent travel agency or tour operator
  • Beware: not all entry points accept E-Visas. The Cambodian e-Visas are only valid for entry by air or at the three border main land crossings: Bavet (on the Ho Chi Minh City-Phnom Penh road); Koh Kong (near Trat in Eastern Thailand); and Poipet (on the Bangkok-Siem Reap road).

What you should know about crossing the border with Thailand (Poipet), Vietnam (Prek Chak, Moc Bai and Chau Doc), Laos (Voeung Kam) and Cambodia

  • Make sure you check the opening hours of the crossing point ahead of your trip.
  • Be aware of the Visa application (which are different depending on your citizenship). First primary source is your embassy.
  • Be cautious about your visa validity: if you overstay, you’d be fined 10 USD per day in Cambodia. In neighboring country Vietnam, for those who have two weeks free tourist entry, you have to wait a month before coming back after you leave the country.
  • Be cautious of the time you will cross the border (night or day time)
  • Crossing the Cambodian border, it’s better to patient and polite. You will avoid problems with this tip.

Questions & Answers

One of Cambopedia’s readers asked:
“Last year I was 7 days over time for my visa. This time I am staying 5 weeks. Last year i paid 7 x USD 5 (5USD per day) I think at the customs at the airport. Is this still common practice? Or should I better get an extension visa ?”
Answer: It’s always a good idea to get an extension visa. You don’t want to run into inconvenience or difficulty with the penalty (can be unpredictable from time to time).