Everything you need to know about obtaining a Cambodian citizenship.
The Ministry of Interior is the government institution that processes the applications for Cambodian citizenship. Did you know that back in 1996, a foreigner had to spend as much as $500,000 to to be a Cambodian citizen? Not now. Not anymore.
Why Does a Foreigner Want to Get Khmer Citizenship?
- You can get a Cambodian passport. So you don’t need a visa each time you get into Cambodia. You can visit any Asean countries without a visa.
- You can own property and land in your name
- You can vote
To become a Khmer citizen, you have
- to behave well
- good moral conduct
- no crimes in the past
- lived in the Kingdom of Cambodia for at least seven years with a residence card
- to be able to speak and write Khmer language
- to accept good Khmer custom and tradition
How to obtain a Khmer citizenship
Fri, 26 July 1996