Since its foundation in 1372, Phnom Penh is uniquely known for its historical architecture and great attractions. Many centuries later, there are more and more books written about this city (aka Paris of the East or even the Pearl of Asia). There are reasons for those nicknames. Written mostly by those who fell in love with the city, I also picked some Phnom Penh books authored by Cambodian writers.
Recommended, curated books about Phnom Penh
From Phnom Penh with Love
Glen Felgate has lived in Phnom Penh for years. In this novel, the former foreign correspondent told about a journey into the heart and darkness of Cambodia, a country he felt in love with. This is the author’s first book about his life experience. His upcoming book is about Myanmar.
THREE DAYS IN PHNOM PENH: Resilience, Genocide and a City That Breathes
The author is very passionate about Cambodia after his visit to the country. In this book, he mixed with historical context and his personal reflection. You can also check out his blog about Cambodia here.
“Grappling with the enormity of Cambodia’s trauma, Nishikanta Verma embarks on a quest for a greater understanding of one worst crimes of the 20th century. This search has resulted in this deeply heartfelt and compassionate account of his journey to Cambodia and the heart of the Khmer Rouge killing machine. A passionate story of one man’s quest for the truth.”
- Killing Time in Phnom Penh (South East Asia Thriller) by Robert Jamieson
- Phnom Penh: Architectural Guide
- Zero Hour in Phnom Penh
- Hunters in the Dark (2015)
- Nick Seeley’s Cambodia Noir
- The Cambodian Book of the Dead
- Ghost Money (2013)
- Angkor Tears (2016)
- Mekong Shadows: Tales from Cambodia (2017)
It seems there are so many proud locals and expats who contributed to this city architectural guide by Moritz Henning and Walter Koditek.
- Off the Rails in Phnom Penh: Into the Dark Heart of Guns, Girls, and Ganja by Amit Gilboa
- Phnom Penh Noir by Christopher Moore, James Grady, and Roland Joffé
- Phnom Penh: A Cultural and Literary History (Cities of the Imagination) by Milton E Osborne
- Moon Angkor Wat: With Siem Reap & Phnom Penh (Travel Guide) Paperback – October 2, 2018
[to be updated]
Disclaimer: Cambopedia is an Amazon Affiliate. All recommendations are impartial and based on user experience, with no bias to the products or the brand. We may earn a small commission for our recommendations or links to any products from this website.